After confirming the 2015 Boccia World Open in Cali last week we can now confirm the criteria that will be used to allocate the available slots. The event, to be held from the 28 October 2015 to 3 November 2015 will open for entries next week.
As this is last World Open event at which athletes can earn World Ranking points towards the Rio Paralympic Games, the following criteria will be used to allocate the available slots:
- The maximum number of slots available will be 100
- A minimum of 50% of the total slots will be allocated to nations from the Americas region, assuming there is sufficient interest from this Region, from these Colombia, as hosts, will receive a minimum of 11 slots.
- Any remaining slots will be prioritised for teams, pairs or individuals who have an opportunity to qualify for the Rio 2016 Paralympic Games as follows (in descending order):
- Team, Pairs or individuals that still have a chance to qualify, will have priority
- Team, Pairs or individuals that can improve their world ranking by attending the event, will have priority
- Team, Pairs or individuals that have not secured a slot for Rio, either based upon their ranking or any automatic slot will have priority
- Team, Pairs or individuals that have not attended the maximum number of events (i.e. four) to count toward the World Ranking will have priority
- Each Team or Pair will only receive a maximum of two individual entries in to the corresponding individual event(s)
Members will be able to register their intention to compete online from 21 July 2015 with first entry applications closing on 14 August 2015.