Greece’s Greg Polychronidis has been named the Allianz Athlete of the Month for August after a memorable winning performance at the BISFed 2018 World Boccia Championships.
Polychronidis won double gold, including the BC3 individual final in dramatic fashion. He fought back from behind to defeat the Paralympic champion and secure his first major individual title. He was also victorious in the BC3 pairs gold.
Polychronids received 42 per cent of the public votes. French long-jumper Marie-Amelie le Fur came in second with 34 per cent. Japanese wheelchair rugby player Daisuke Ikezaki was third (20 per cent). The Netherlands’ wheelchair basketball player Mariska Beijer and swimmer Liesette Bruinsma were also nominated.
The 2018 winners are:
- January – Oksana Masters, USA, Nordic skiing
- February – Mac Marcoux, CAN, alpine skiing
- March (Best Male) – Brian McKeever, CAN, Nordic skiing
- March (Best Female) – Ekaterina Rumyantseva, NPA, Nordic skiing
- March (Best Team) – Chinese wheelchair curling team
- April – Gemma Collis-McCann, GBR, wheelchair fencing
- May – Sareh Javanmardi, IRI, shooting
- June – Sevda Altunoluk, TUR, goalball
- July – Morteza Mehrzadselakjani, IRI, sitting volleyball
- August – Greg Polychronidis, GRE, boccia